Nai Zindagi Improving Living Condition of children
All the children have right to live a healthy, happy and fulfilling life. Children are the most vulnerable section of the society that need special care and support. In India about 11 Million children live on streets. These children grow up on the margins of the society and are victims of all kinds of abuses – physical, sexual and emotional. These children work as child laborers thereby missing out on education and healthy and joyous childhood deprive of love care, protection and supervisions of adults. These children need special care and support to improve their living conditions. Education and healthy life is the primary right of the children but due to some adverse circumstances some children have to face harsh realities of life since childhood .Poverty, lack of guidance, quarrel between the parent, separation of parent and those who are orphans live a very difficult life and some of them have to face some personality defects as fear, lack of confidence, unable to adjust in the society.
“THERE IS NO TRUST MORE SACRED THAN THE ONE THE WORLD HOLDS WITH CHILDREN. THERE IS NO DUTY MORE IMPORTANT THAN ENSURING THAT THEIR RIGHTS ARE RESPECTED, THAT THEIR WELFARE IS PROTECTED, THAT THEIR LIVES ARE FREE FROM FEAR AND WANT AND THAT THEY CAN GROW UP IN PEACE.”
“NAI ZINDAGI” a Program has been initiated to improve the living condition of marginalized rural children at grass root level. Its vision is to ensure attainment of malnutrition free society with the objective to reduce stunted growth in identified areas through awareness and sensitization.
No children deserve to face malnutrition. More children under the age of five die in India than anywhere else in the world. A recent estimate puts this figure at over 5 million children a year -over 4500 child death a day.43% of Indian children less than 5 years are underweight and 48% (i.e. 61 million children are stunted due to chronic under nutrition. India accounts for more than 3 out of every 10 stunted children in the world .Under nutrition is substantially higher in rural than in urban areas. Under nutrition lead to stunted growth, this is associated with impaired cognitive ability and reduced school and work performance. Nearly half of the deaths in children under 5 are attributed to under nutrition that puts children at greater risk of dying from common infection, increase the frequency and severity of such infections and delays recovery.
There many factors that affect the lives of children very much
A condition that puts a lot of children at risk for many of the issues listed in this section is poverty. Lack of access to basic requirements such as food, shelter and clothing are the underlying cause of poor child health, poor child nutrition, child labor and various other issues. It widens the economic, social, cultural, and gender disparities already present in society. Poverty essentially threatens every child right: survival, development and protection. Poverty follows a vicious cycle as poor children grow up to be poor adults who then pass on debt to their children
Children experience poverty differently from adults as it creates an environment which is harmful to their mental, physical, emotional and spiritual development. It cannot be simply understood in terms of household income or household consumption.
In a study on poverty faced by children, UNICEF found that children face seven areas of severe deprivation: adequate nutrition, safe drinking water, decent sanitation facilities, health, shelter, education and information. The study found that half the child population of the world suffers at least one form of deprivation. The nature of deprivation is such that one deprivation reinforces others. Lack of access to safe drinking water can affect a child’s health, education and nutrition. Rural children in poverty are twice as likely to suffer some form of deprivation as their urban peers.
Child poverty is not an issue only in low income community but it found in many middle income nations as well.Children in poverty experience more than simple material poverty. The lack of material security exposes children to all forms of abuse and exploitation. It creates economic need that pushes children into child labor, and hence forsakes their right to education and recreation. Hence children experience an emotional and mental poverty as well. This in turn produces further material poverty, creating a generational cycle of poverty.
“To develop a society where all the children would live a dignified life”
“To give dignified life to all the children by community sensitization and awareness”
“To improve living conditions of marginalized children for a blessed and happy life”
- To bring a positive change in the life of vulnerable children
To aware and sensitize people about child-related issues and increase their Participation
• To change the attitude of society about marginalized children through awareness, motivation, and sensitization.
• To save the children from malnutrition.
• To provide adequate education to these children to make them good citizens and have a better future through good education right
• To provide accessible health facilities to the deprived children
• To provide counseling by the doctors and staff on the adoption of good health practices in nutrition, health, hygiene, and sanitation
• To disseminate information on the overall well being of children through awareness campaigns including health meetings, awareness sessions
• To ensure active participation of the community to improve child-related issues.
To identify the marginalized children through our volunteers and field supervisors by conducting surveys and list out their name and age group they belong to.
• To find out whether the child is an orphan or migrated or living with their parents and their working place.
• To motivate the guardian to be very cautious about the overall needs of children.
• Meeting with stakeholders (Gram Pradhan, AWWs, ANM, and Teachers, etc.)
• To conduct community meetings for sensitization and awareness.
• To facilitate government programs and related officials.
• To organize nutrition camps to aware the community of the benefits of nutritious food.
• To organize awareness sessions with different stakeholder groups on various issues related to children.
• To facilitate government schemes and help in the effective implementation.
• To aware the community about the schemes for the benefit of children and help them to avail themselves of these facilities.